Light and Medium Duty Tow Truck Operator
TO APPLY: Click on the Apply For Job button, fill out the application PDF, and email it with your resume (if applicable) to email@example.com. Tatman’s Towing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
(Driving vehicles under 26,001 lb)
Perform emergency road service, towing, accident recovery, and abandoned vehicle recovery using assigned truck and towing equipment correctly as trained. Present to the customer a professional image and company image through excellent service, safe operation, and timeliness. Maintain truck and equipment in compliance with Company guidelines. Perform necessary documentation timely and correctly according to procedures in effect.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrive at work on time daily, ready for duty when shift starts;
- Navigate the most expeditious and/or safe route between two points;
- Provide towing and roadside assistance in a safe, professional, and timely manner, free of accident, injury, damage;
- Submit accurate invoices and appropriate payment on time for processing;
- Complete pre-trip inspection sheets daily;
- Maintain truck fluid levels according to manufacturer standards;
- Maintain truck and equipment in a safe, clean condition, operating it in a safe and professional manner;
- Maintain consistently excellent attendance;
- Observe a Federal, State, and Municipal laws, rules and ordinances, and maintain a clean driving record;
- Consistently deliver quality customer service;
- Maintain personal appearance and uniforms in compliance with established Company standards;
- Cooperate with all co-workers;
- Provide accurate and timely service when releasing vehicles from storage on weekend and after hours;
- Attend driver and employee meetings as requested for job and safety information;
- Attend training, and achieve professional certification as directed by management;
- Study information provided by the Company to maintain and upgrade industry and job knowledge;
- Assist in training new employees when requested;
- Perform other duties, such as dispatching, cleaning office, shop, storage yard, as requested.
- Possess correct and valid driver’s license for weight of vehicle assigned.
- Live in geographical area, which will allow timely response to calls from home after hours, as required.
- Present clean, well-groomed appearance.
- Demonstrate positive customer service attitude-both to co-workers (internal customers) and to customers.
- Possess good English verbal communication, legible handwriting, and basic math functionality.
- Have no more than one preventable accident or two moving violations within three consecutive years.
- Be able to lift 75 pounds unassisted safely.
- Be able to sit in vehicle seat for extended periods, perform significant amount of driving, bending, lifting, twisting, listening to and responding to radio, pager, and telephone communications.
- Successfully pass drug tests in compliance with Company Policy and Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations.
(Working conditions are representative of those which must be met by employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individual with disability to perform essential functions. Variations in conditions may occur under certain circumstances.)
- Approximately 80% of job time is spent outdoors in the cab of a truck and outdoors performing the tasks associated with attaching a vehicle to the truck for safe transport or performing tasks associated with recovering a disabled or wrecked vehicle from the roadway or off the roadway.
- Employee works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to the risk of oncoming traffic or other risks associated with such mechanical work performed on the roadways.
- Noise level in this work environment is moderate to high.
- Work hours may frequently exceed 8 in a day workday or 40 in a work week when necessary.
- Employee may be called upon to arise from sleep and respond to service calls, vehicular accidents, scenes involving passengers who are injured or dismembered, including exposure to blood borne pathogens and other hazardous materials.
- Frequently sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stand and walk moderate to significant distances, grasp with hands and fingers and lift up to 75 pounds;
- Frequently bend, twist, push, pull, climb, squat, crawl, kneel, lie down, and drive; reach above shoulders;
- Continuously use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, controls, see (including close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception); and the ability to adjust focus; hear and speak, key, i.e., in the use of pagers, cellular phones, wireless devices, telephones, calculators, truck controls, and other hand tools.